TopBand: 160 Beacons

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160 Beacons
From: George.Guerin@kellogg.com (George Guerin)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 16:29:14 -0400
     Hi Gang:

     I understand the desire, but lets remember there are times when 1998
     khz can be open and 1830 would be closed due to an actual minimum
     usable frequency cut off by the forces of nature.

     I think Dennis, N7CKD, can tell us what is going on with various
     frequency allocations, but I would vote for 1801 or so, to it covers
     the real minimum usable frequency and is below the lower window the
     JAs listen in.  If there isn't some other service occupying the
     frequency in too many places, it should be OK.  My next choice would
     be about 1813.  I think the foreign DX has to tell us where they can
     listen without too much interference.

     In the dead of winter OSN is sometimes a good indicator to Europe.
     The fish nets tell me if the Caribbean is open, although a beacon in
     Panama and Trinidad might be nice.

     In this election year, I vote for some real smoke on a real antenna:
     50 ft of top loaded vertical or inverted L over 60 radials x 70' long
     and at least 250 - 400 watts.  Personally, I can't wait for a QSB rise
     to tell me the beacon is operating at 10 or 100 watts.  Also the local
     background noise level will tell me how loud the signal is.  We do not
     need step functions like 400 watts: beep, 40 watts: beep, 4 watts:
     beep.

     On the other end of the spectrum, haven't you ever heard signals on 10
     cw when 10 phone was dead?  That is only a 2 percent change from 28025
     from 28595.  It is a 9 percent change from 1830 to 1998.  Thats why I
     vote for a low down frequency, even if it means some folks are
     listening "out of their band".

     I also think it would have to be a national organization like NCDXF to
     get this going, with an automatic operation sanction from the FCC.

     Maybe we can help fund this through NCDXF.  They have members on
     topband.

     73,  CU on this weekend, just incase a new one comes up in the phone
     contest.

     George, K8GG.