TopBand: FW2EH: what an opening...but I still need!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: FW2EH: what an opening...but I still need!
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:29:06 -0500 (EST)
 After spending the entire sunrise period on 80 meters, FW2EH today QSYd to
1825.2 at 1214z. This is 45 minutes past our sunrise, so I did not expect to
hear him at all. But he was S6-S7! And at 1230z he was still S5-6!! And at
1250z, 80 minutes past sunrise here, he was still S4-5 and then dropped into
the noise level. But I could still tell he was there, and copy occasional
bursts, until 1308z. I was hearing him on the 400-foot West Beverage. K3ANS
noted at one point that he was louder on his NW Beverage, but I have a loud
TV birdie on that antenna that covered the FW.

I think several W1, W2, W3 stations worked the FW during this late opening.
K1ZM with his 4-square worked FW2EH at 1154z -- 90 minutes past Jeff's
sunrise! Jeff was still copying him 10 minutes later when FW2EH started
listening for JAs. Jeff could only hear him on the 4-square at that point.

In 30 years of chasing DX on 160, I can't recall any Pacific DX station
staying in this late past sunrise! The closest was VS6DO who came in as late
as an hour past sunrise back in January of '81.

Unfortunately I STILL NEED the FW!! I noticed K7CA spotted him at 0805z, so
I plan an all-nighter tonite! ... 73/Jon AA1K