TopBand: Gamma Rod + Sidearm

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Gamma Rod + Sidearm
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 1996 17:21:05 EST
Gentlemen:

I have a TH6DXX at 61' on a sidearm mount, rotatable.  Loading the tower
with a gamma rod which attached to the 97' tower at 60 feet yielded
unsatisfactory results, so I put up a gamma rod (made of half-inch 75 ohm
hardline) which now extends up to 90'.  Here's the question:

As the gamma rod passes the 61' mark, I bring it in to the tower (to
within six inches) gradually and  bring it back out gradually to its
three foot separation.  Would I be better off with a more right angle
approach leaving more gamma rod three feet away from the tower (of Rohn
25)?

In other words:

 \                                                                |
  \                                                               |
   \
--------
    /                       OR                                        |
   /
--------
 /                                                                |
                       ?????

(Where the gradual is over 12 feet and the sharp bend is over two feet.)

Finally, AA1AA insists that I ask this additional question:  Would we be
better off if I brought the gamma rod in for four inches to accomodate
the top rail of the "swinging gate" sidearm, brought it in again six
inches later for four inches to accomodate the tribander boom, and
brought it in again 1.5 feet later for four inches for the lower rail of
the "swinging gate" sidearm?  Forget the mechanical issues, he just wants
the answer to the electrical question?

-- Fred K1VR (k1vr@juno.com)