TopBand: A61AD Day 1

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: A61AD Day 1
From: don@aurumtel.com (don@aurumtel.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 08:10:18 -0500
Well, the inverted L is up and morning one certainly was interesting.

Got up at 4 AM local time about 2 hours before sunrise.  Heard om5xx booming in
and quickly worked him with a 5nn.  After a few dozen qsos I figured, hey maybe
this is the trip I bowl em over in North America.  No sooner said then a big
fade in the EU sigs and ve1ZZ comes in weakly, but hey, it's still 1 hour plus
before sunrise.  A few more North AMericans are in there weak and when I can
barely hear K1KI I know I am in trouble as hey, what happened to EU?

Well, I work a few more in NA and nothing is coming back to cqs.  I tune around
and it's like did the antenna fall or did the band fold?  A quick trip out the
door with a flashlight shows the antenna still up (the swr did not change so I
did not really think it fell).

Anyway, I spend the next 1 plus cqing with an occasional EU reply.

A few internet swl reports show I was getting out and today I ran the beverage
out about 500 feet (unterminated) so maybe I can hear better tmrw morning.

Sooo, I will stay up late tonite for the VK/JA sunrises and catch 2 hours sleep
and return at 00:00 UTC.  C U guys there.

Don
wb2Don N Dubai  or did the FCC give me a new call?
A61AD