TopBand: Re: Sidearm and Gamma Match.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: Sidearm and Gamma Match.
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 03:55:19 EST
From:
Fred Hopengarten, K1VR
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105 * 617/259-0088
e-mail:  k1vr@juno.com
Big antennas, high in the sky, are better than small ones, low.

On Mon, 4 Nov 1996 17:21:50 -0500 George.Guerin@kellogg.com (George
Guerin) writes:

>     So, assuming you need to use a gamma match vs. a shunt feed with
>omega
>     match, I guess I would gradually bring it in and then let it go
>back
>     out to the 3 ft point.

K1VR:  I use a gamma rod and an omega match.

>     You didn't say how well you insulated your guy wires, and what
>you
>     have on top of the tower to "top load" it.

K1VR:  I have Phillystran guy wires at all levels.  At 91', on a TIC
RingRotor, I have a Cushcraft 40-2CD, and at 97' I have a TH6DXX (the
tower has a stack equal to a TH19DXX -- two TH6's and a TH7).

  If I knew what was up

>     there, I could look up a copy of the article I have at home and
>tell
>     you what the article says is the recommended feed point,
>effective
>     length and approx values of capacitors.
>
>     I would be interested to see what others say.
>
>     73         Good luck       George  K8GG

K1VR:  I will, of course, summarize.