TopBand: "Local" Yackers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: "Local" Yackers
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 11:35:02 -0500
Craig may want to take a low profile, but let's cut the crap and tell it like
it really is.

>Obviously KS2D is unaware of what takes place on 1.850.  If qso's
>with Europe, Asia, Mid-East, West Coast and the South Pacific are "Local"
>then I guess the group is guilty as accused.  Also, it seems to me that
>I've heard KS2D on 1.850. A belated welcome to the group of "local" yackers
>sir.

Let's be honest with each other. 1850, like 1855 and other  "channels" is
populated by groups of ragchewers running more power than necessary to carry
on what are basically "local" communications. Just because an occasional DX
station checks in, works someone, and then goes away doesn't mean the vast
bulk of operation is "DX work".

In the early years, I filed an PRM to get CW segments. The FCC told me they
would be happy to divide the band, if the ARRL backed it. The ARRL refused,
citing NO new bands would have CW segments. The damn DXers couldn't even get
together and settle on anything, because every DXer had his own
self-interests.

Since then, we received WARC bands...and guess what? They all have CW ONLY
segments.

Depending on people to always be considerate of others is a pipe-dream.
EVERYONE can justify whatever they feel like doing in some manner, whether
it's "we were here first" to "we can't hear the DX" to "once in a blue moon a
DX station checks in and we work him and send him on his way so we are here
in accordance to agreements".

Let's drop all the moral hootin' and hollarin' and face facts. A
NON-enforcable band plan works as well as non-enforcable traffic laws would
on the highway. We are all people that view things only from our own personal
viewpoint. Without CW only segments, it will always be a mess.

73 Tom