TopBand: Re: Bad Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: Bad Propagation
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 15:43:47 -0800
Lance Johnson wrote:

> A little 160 meter propagation would sure help. The boys are getting a
> bit testy. At 48 years of age I tend to worry more about my dental
> work than my "macho pride".
> 73, Lance

Still not much here. I guess Bernie, ZS4TX got some good prop into the
Heartland t'other morning!

I was very disquieted by events this morning re XZ1N. The op on 80 CW
was quite loud here when I first heard him chatting with a bud around
1420Z or so. He then called for NA and worked AE6Y over me---but then
worked not a single North American, despite holding off the JA's for
some time. He then gave up and worked JA's for the next hour, at least
(it was long after sunrise and I left) without a single NA station
making it. This---and their apparent success to Europe and even South
Africa--may indicate a severe noise problem in our direction.

Not a peep here on 160! The 80m op did mention that the boys were
repairing one amplifier.

The solar disturbance has apparently rotated away, as expected, and the
K index has come down. A few quiet days should help--but this morning
did not provide great confidence.
--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, The DXer