TopBand: 5V7MF

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 5V7MF
From: k9bg@mc.net (Gerald Brunning)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 19:27:35 -0800
"Gentlemen",

I don't usually comment unless I have something of value to contribute
but the behavior on Thursday evening while Mike, 5V7MF, was on the band
was atrocious.  Mike's signal was quite good, peaking a true S7 and at
times S8 here and he was listening up, so his frequency was clear.

It was obvious that he was having a great deal of difficulty hearing
US stations as the "horde" was calling while he worked several Europeans.
When he did ask for USA, the pileup was tremendous.  Several times he
would copy a partial call and ask "QRZ N2 N2?" whereupon everyone East
of the Rockies would send their call!  You might be surprised at the
so-called "gentlemen" and top-gun dxers who participated in this
behavior.  Then again, you might not!

What makes us behave like this?  When a station stands by for a partial
call, what makes everyone completely disregard his request?  I can
understand, perhaps, an honest mistake when a weak station is not being
heard well, or if the frequency is covered with noise, but that was not
the case here... he was loud and his frequency was clear.

I heard him work one US station (who also called when Mike was asking
for someone else) before I turned the switch to OFF.  Shame on all of
you.  Someone mentioned here recently that most pileups only consist
of approximately 30 or so stations and if they would all use a little
judgment and patience, everyone could get through in a reasonably short
period.  This is never truer than on 160.

Flame away, "gents".  See you in the pileups!

Jerry, K9BG