TopBand: 160/80 shunt fed tower?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160/80 shunt fed tower?
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 23:53:34 EST
Hello Olaf.

I will not pretend to be a Slinky Beverage expert.....just the
originator!  My first one was in 1985.

I use 5 in series and stretched over 175'.  I use a standard 500 +\- Ohm
termination and a standard 9:1 matching transformer to the coax
feedline....nothing fancy or "secret".   My property only 300' in the
direction of EU so the slinkys are 175' and then I run 3 125' radials on
the ground...one directly in front and the others at 10 degrees either
side.

I have 6 Beverages here; 3 Slinkys and 3 regular wires to fit my 5 acres.
  258 DXCC cfmd and 38 Zones on 160M ;  301 DXCC and all 40 Zones on 80
for some backround. The rig is a highly modified TS940 (PIN Diodes,etc)
into an old Amp Supply LK500ZC...It barely makes 1200W on 160M .
The Slinky is the best RX antenna of them all and I am going to
add/change two more this weekend. The Slinky is an extremely quiet
antenna but it does not appear vy lossy. I use an old Ameco 40673 MOSFET
preamp that I had to modify with a gain control. The stock 25dB gain was
way excessive. What I found is that about 5-6dB gain is just about right
and I can still make use of the preamp tunable preselector to knock down
BC band crud. Simple, cheap and effective. An engineer friend said that
the Slinky performs as a slow wave antenna and should not be confused
with a transmission line antenna.   Im confused either way and would
really welcome an analysis of this antenna.

73.....Carl