TopBand: Relatively narrowband QRN

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Relatively narrowband QRN
From: dave@mathworks.com (Dave Pascoe)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 12:40:13 -0500 (EST)
I'm finally back on the band after a long hiatus.  It's nice to be
back.....I love 160.

Antennas: Inverted-L, about 70' vertical
          EU Beverage, about 880' long

This morning while listening for JAs I came across some unusual QRN
between 1902 and 1925 kHz.  My first thought was that it was an electric
fence.  But the noise doesn't appear below 1900 kHz or above 1925 kHz!
It comes and goes, and appears both on the inverted-L and the Beverage.
It doesn't appear to be periodic or contain any kind of pulsing
characteristics, but I only listened to it for a short time.

Has anyone encountered anything like this?  I'll do more investigating
tonight and tomorrow morning and post any findings.

73,

Dave Pascoe    dave@mathworks.com   http://www.mathworks.com
KM3T           508-647-7362         FAX: 508-647-7002