TopBand: S92SS

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: S92SS
From: kt4ld@juno.com (ANDREW H LEWIS)
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 20:48:14 EST
I met Charles yesterday at the Greensboro, NC hamfest and here is the
scoop on his operations. I spoke to him the night before the big hamfest
(Fri) on a 2 mtr repeater because he recognized me from our previous
QSO's with him and and his wife (S92YL) and we agreed that I would page
him over the loudspeaker so we could meet and talk. Once I did this a
whole bunch of DXers came flocking to the table.

Once we got away from the table we spoke about DX. Here is the scoop: His
favorite band is 17 meters esp. CW in the evenings so he can work
Stateside. His wife prefers 20 meter DX nets and is usually on in their
early afternoon so she can work Europe so not heard that well in US.
Charles informes me that he will be back in S92 land DEC 16. You can find
him on during our schedule with him and other ham friends on every Monday
at 20:30 UTC on 14.278. He is always very loud. When he calls CQ he
usually does this by call district to get as many people in the log as
possible.

He also informs me that his wife will not be back in S92 land for several
weeks as she is visiting friends and relative in South Africa, Zimbabwe,
and Mozambique. She did not bring her radios with her on this trip. He
also tells me that as of June 1997 he will be looking for another job as
the Gov't has cut back on the VOA sites so he won't be in Sao Tome much
longer, work him while you can as there are only 6 hams on the island and
he and the XYL are the only active ones. On the QSing subject he said to
tell everyone to MAKE SURE THEY PUT VIA PORTUGAL because if you don't it
will go through GABON and EVERY CARD that goes through Gabon gets opened
and has IRC's or Green Stamps ripped out of them. He answers QSL's only
once a week as the only plane with mail comes in on Tuesday night so he
doesn't get the mail until Wednesday evening. Expect to get your cards in
about 2-3 week turn around period.

He will also make it a point to be more active on 80m and 160m as he has
a new Rhombic for those bands. He is mostly on CW and his wife does only
Phone but he does a little as well.

                                         73 es GL
                                         K4HQ
Andrew Lewis            16 YEARS OLD        EXTRA CLASS
Formerly: KE4LJM, KE4LJM/NA 067, KT4LD
PAST OPERATIONS: ZF2/KT4LD, ZF8ZP, ZF2ZX, 6Y5NR, 6Y5/KT4LD, XE/KT4LD,
XE9LD
QSL Manager for: TF/WF0E, HS0E, HZ1ZM, TF2YE
DXCC, WAS, WAC, Won 1996 ARRL DX PHONE QRP NC, Won CQWW SSB 1995 QRP NC