TopBand: JA-AA1K, 7M3HLQ & 1908, HL5BPL

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: JA-AA1K, 7M3HLQ & 1908, HL5BPL
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 10:35:31 -0500 (EST)
At 04:15 AM 12/9/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Two thoughts
>
>-- Jon- I wonder if 1908.0 is best-- there is a AM broadcast station in HS
>on that freq which we use as a beacon here on the west coast.

1908-1909 seems to be clear hear just about all the time this season. Some
other carriers and local birdies mask 1910 and 1912 khz much of the time.
Though K1ZM observed a few weeks ago that 1911 khz was best for him.

>The other thought is in best freq to hear in JA-  I note that the JAs choose
>to RX at either 1802-10 or 1823-26.  Is there any garbage/interference heard
>in JA around 1820-1823?  How much trouble does the 1850 (in DU?) LORAN cause
>for RX in JA on these higher freqs???  There might be a better freq W to TX
>to JA???

I chose 1826 simply because that is where JD1AMA was QSX (according to spots
on Webcluster a few weeks ago). Wishful thinking perhaps; I don't even know
if he is still QRV, but I need that one! Could easily shift to a better spot
for JA.

>Good luck to you both on a tuff path...
>
>robin, wa6cdr/n6ll/xz1n    wb6tza@compuall.net

tnx....
today JA7OEM was spotted (on 1911 khz) by K7CA around 0750z, but I had no
copy (his freq. was clear then).

I noticed too that HL5BPL was QRV after our sunrise on 1825 kHz. This is a
very poor frequency for the East Coast because of BC harmonics/spurs and
local QRM from TV set sweep oscillators. 1821-24 khz is generally clear and
would be a better choice if he can give it a try for the East Coast. Sunrise
today here was 1211z.

73/Jon AA1K