TopBand: Quarter Wave Sloper

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Quarter Wave Sloper
From: lkayser@rideau.net (Larry Kayser)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 07:29:18 -0500 (EST)
Chris:

I am using a 1/4 wave sloper on 160 off the 100 ft level of a 240 ft self
supporting microwave tower.  I am not sure what is happening but I sometimes
seem to hear very well off the back of the tower - I am wondering if the
tower is re-radiating in some fashion.  The tower is 45 ft square at the
base and 20 ft square at the top, with a significant capacity hat at the
top, there is no extra ground screen on this tower... My ground is all
granite rock amd small ponds of water (Ice) for several miles in each direction.

This remote control location beats the heck out of a 40 ft vertical with
wire off the top for an inverted L at my home qth which is an island on a
fresh water lake.

Larry
va3lk / wa3zia