TopBand: HA, HA, HA, Merry Christmas!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: HA, HA, HA, Merry Christmas!
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 02:03:35 -0600
  I hope that everyone is enjoying a good Christmas day.  I know that
the stations west of me are, taking advantage a good European 160
opening.  Conditions were good, but strange:
  I worked IV3PRK at 0202z and his normally good signal was weak, with
flutter.  No more Italian stations were heard.  [Not too away though,
9A7V was worked at 0558z]
  I worked EA4FW and F2MA just after 0300z.  Next, DJ7AA just after
0500z.  I heard DL3KDV peaking S-9 shortly afterwards with some
western stations starting to call.  I figured that it was their turn--
time for some CQing.
  I had problems copying some stations at first:  their signals went
from solid copy to no copy to solid copy--ALL WITHIN ONE LETTER BEING
SENT!  I felt bad on the stations that I had problems copying, or
didn't come back to at all...
  As SM5EDX said, his and other SM signals didn't make in here at
all (Bad SMorning!).
  The band fizzled out a bit earlier today.  Things were sliding by
0700z.  However, one of the last Europeans heard was DF2PY (worked
at 0723z).  Other than the usual good signal from EA3VY, the other
western Europeans (G's) were not heard then.

73,  Bill     K0HA