TopBand: loop preamp suggestions?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: loop preamp suggestions?
From: n5ul@wtaccess.com (Charles Shaw)
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 12:38:27 -0800
Ron, at 00:41 12/28/96 EST, you wrote:

>it seems to be a good candidate for a preamplifier.
>I found one in QST for August, 1988.

Two of us here are using the above preamp.  Mine is built on perfboard from
RadShack.  All parts from there except the tuning caps and toroid cores.
They perform very well, are non-critical throughout, and can be "revised"
such as elimination of switch and separate tuning for 80 if you don't use
that.  Wide range of gain is available.  One I know of will eliminate one
stage of the amp when not needed.  Mine has been seriously tinkered:  In-Out
bypass relays, automatic (relay) dual gain controls for switching between
long beverages and short EWEs, eliminated power switch and LED, power from
XCVR power supply and always on when RX is on.  It's mounted at the RX input
behind the desk, but I can "tweak" the gain controls if I am limber enough.
Lesson learned in process:  put it in a box big enough for later
"revisions".  Good luck with your project whatever you decide upon!

73, Charles

Charles W. Shaw, N5UL (ex-KB5UL)
Hobbs, NM
<n5ul@wtaccess.com>