TopBand: The Stew Perry

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: The Stew Perry
From: ldennis@highway1.com (Dennis Shapiro)
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 22:14:26 -0500
Sometimes things happen that one needs to share.

The Stew Perry.  I had known Stew and felt that I had to join in.  I have no
antenna for any band below 20m and haven't been on 160 for perhaps 20 years.
I've made exactly one cw qso in the past several years.  Rig is a TS-850s.
Antennas are a tri-bander and a ringo ranger.  It was midnight.  What to do?

Using the principle that the best receiving antenna may be good at
transmitting, I tried various combinations of my two antennas, and found
that connecting the braid of the ringo ranger coax to the 850s antenna
terminal heard best.  What a surprise--the rr was not on the tower, but on a
chimney mount--just 20 feet off the ground, and lots of the coax was just
lying about on the flat tin roof.  Now, would it load?  Bless this built-in
tuner--it matched and I was off and running at 0518Z on December 29.

W3CP was CQ.  I wiped the dust from the Bencher and dropped my call--and he
came back!  Next was VE3OSZ, and 34 more QSO's before I almost fell asleep
at the key a couple of hours later.

Grid squares are a great idea.  From my QTH in FN42, I worked into EN52 on
the west, EM83 to the southwest and FN25 to the northwest.

I heard some dx.  ON4UN was up and down.  It was great to hear John who's
shack I visited over 20 years ago.  Now here is GM3POI--and loud.  I dropped
my call--and he came back!  Wow!

My enjoyment was a testimony to the great ears that are a common denominator
among the successful top-banders.  Thank you for listening.  I promise to be
back for Stew Perry '97 with an antenna.  73 and happy new year.

Dennis, W1UF