TopBand: Vintage radios

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Vintage radios
From: n9dx@michiana.org (Larry Higgins)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 23:16:39 -0500
Tried sending this to N7CKD directly but the email bounced for bad address.
 Dunno why.

Others have already identified this as the 5-tube special.  These were made
by the millions, first using octal base tubes (your version) in the 30s and
40s, and later using miniature tubes in the late 40s thru early 60s.

I've probably repaired a thousand of them with the same fault.  The problem
is dried out electrolyte in the power supply filters.  There is probably
nothing wrong with all the rest of the capacitors, even though the wax ones
might be oozing wax.  They probably oozed wax when the radio was a year old.

If you can't find a dual 30/30 mfd at 150 volts, just use two separate
capacitors.  Anything from 20 mfd to 100 mfd will work fine.  The reception
of stations verifies that everything else is OK.  Don't bother replacing
anything else.

Too bad it won't get Don McNeil any more.  (by the way, I heard that he
just recently passed away).

73

Larry

N9DX