TopBand: Best Amplifier / 160+80

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Best Amplifier / 160+80
From: jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Jeffrey Maass)
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 15:22:36 -0500 (EST)

 If you were going to buy a reliable, full-power manual-tune amplifier for
 use in contests and DXing on 160 and 80 meters, what would be your choice?

 Preliminary leafing through the magazines suggest the following.
 Comments?

    Alpha 89
    ETO 91B
    Ameritron AL-1500
    Ameritron AL-1200
    QRO Technologies HF-2500DX (What's the general experience with  the
                                Svetlana tetrodes so far? Availability?)
    Command Technologies Commander HF-2500
    Others?

 Is there a 'best value' among the used amplifers (again, full power and
 for use primarily on 160 and 80 meters)? I was very happy with my old
 Alpha 76CA, and a used amplifer would likely meet my needs.

 Possibles:

    Alpha 76CA
    Alpha 78
    Alpha 77DX
    Dentron ??

 I've been out of touch for several years, but may gear up during the
 summer for next Winter.

 73,

Jeff Maass       (jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us)      Amateur Radio K8ND
      USPSA/IPSC # L-1192   NROI/CRO          NW of Columbus Ohio
      25000 Members in 2000!