TopBand: Excerpts HEARD ISLAND MESSAGE # 25-27

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Excerpts HEARD ISLAND MESSAGE # 25-27
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 22:27:59 GMT
>VK0IR and not VK0HI
>-------------------
>The call they will use on Heard is VK0IR. In cae I use
>VK0HI again, forget it, it means VK0IR...
>
>STRONG SIGNALS ON 160
>---------------------
>Could be conditions of course, but they are very strong
>tonight. Just picked up the following info "N1DG has posted
>a note on the YCCC cluster stating that he just talked to
>Reunion and they have a new full size (?) 160 antenna up.
>They plan to be QRV all night tonight. " Wonder if it is
>the Battle creeck special or the ON4UN inverted L ? ? ?
>
>NORTH AMERICA ON 160
>--------------------
>With this antenna and these signals this will be a treat for
>North America later on tonight! I suggested they would
>QSX for North America on 1805, to avoid QRM from Europe.
>Listen very well if they give a QSX frequency!

STRONG SIGNALS ON 160
---------------------
Could be conditions of course, but they are very strong
tonight. Just picked up the following info "N1DG has posted
a note on the YCCC cluster stating that he just talked to
Reunjhion and they have a new full size 160 antenna up.
They plan to be QRV all night tonight.

LOGS FROM TO0R
--------------
As to the question whether or not we will have the TO0R
logs on the Web, here is the answer I received: "no, we
are vy busy on the ship, no logs for TO0R on the net
unless we get 10 minutes of spare time." Let's hope they
find 10 minutes" In another message it read "sri, we had
really too much to do the last days, we think to give u
the calls of all in the log before leaving."

I am waiting to see something come through. Anything I
receive, I will transform to the right format, and Lyndon
will have it on his Web server. Keep your fingers
crossed...

FRIDAY NIGHT ON 160
-------------------
The full-size antenna that was referred to in an earlier
message is a half wave sloping dipole on the dockside.
One side is attached to the ship's mast.
We were told that K5FUV was contacted to see if it was
OK that one end of the antenna would be connected to
the docked ship's mast. That was OK. The station was
put in a van, and the power was taken from a generator.

At time of sending this message TO0R is still going
strong on 1826.5.

LOG SERVERS
Here is what Peter said " The logservers are NOT to
used as excuse for both sides not to be sure the
contact is 100% ok. We will always make sure that
when we work someone, that we have his call correct.
Errors are possible of course. Even more important,
our audience will have to just as sure they are in
the log as if there was no logserver. I say this as
I had so many requests from people who were not sure
that they were in the log of 160."