TopBand: 4S7RPG Results

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 4S7RPG Results
From: reparkes@eureka.lk (reparkes@eureka.lk)
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 16:56:54 +0600
Colombo Sun 5 Jan

Was active Fri night Sat Morning
Conditions were too good that no one could hear me above the european QRM=
 levels

I could hear TO0R was hammering away for about 4 hours working thousands of
folk!!  Me - well I ended up with 3 UA's of which one insisted on asking for
QSL info at sunrise.

Sat nite/Sunday morn band sounded flat but QSO'd A45ZN at 1541  he was
working folk no probs!! also called A71CW and A92GD but no luck

Called at 1830-1855 but nothing doing - band still sounded flat
called again around 2230 - 2300 Joe YB1AQS was working VQ9SS
called Joe but no luck so begining to wonder if it was about time to
restring the antenna or do something else drastic!!

On again at 2345 but nothing doing few EU stations in the noise.
then netted:
 - 0034 UA2FX finally things started moving =20
 - 0037 OH2EE in the noise calling me
 - 0038 UA2FX asking for QSL info - replied cba!
 - 0052 OH1TN=20
 - 0054 UA2FX cba info please!! (scream =A3$!?<>*+ sunrise was at 0052!)
 - 0056 OH3LYG  This is good they are still calling me!!
 - 0059 ??1ZZ uh? can't be - nah - bands flat - every one is in the mud!!
 - 0100 VE1ZZ Whopeeee he peaked about S 6 in the QSB (about 30secs between
peaks) and he sent my report enough times that I got it complete on a peak
 - 0105 SP8NR first hrd him calling same time as ??1ZZ - played a hunch!!
 - 0108 SM5AQD where did he get a signal that strong this late on in the=
 day!!

Thanks to Victor 4S7VK for lending me the spare room.  His cocnut tree
climber threatened to call one day so we may raise the antenna a bit more?

Sorry to take up data capacity - NB not "bandwidth" that is variable
depending on the modulation method and signalling rate these digital folks
need a lesson from the analogue scene!!

If I sound happy I have VE1ZZ to thank for that!!

Cheers All

Bob Parkes