TopBand: GI0KOW's defence

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: GI0KOW's defence
From: andrew@gi0nwg.demon.co.uk (Andrew Williamson)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 23:11:27 +0000
I passed the following E-mail to GI0KOW and here are his comments:

<---- start included text ---->

To: <topband@contesting.com>
>:Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 22:52:45 -0800
>:
>
>listened early for me - 0215Z (1-06-97) - only heard one pile
>at 1825.5- listened very hard, and heard the station well enuff
>on peaks to copy calls and rst of stations he was working -
>after 15 mins he was strong enuff to get almost a whole exchange,
>so called on peaks.. worked him 10 mins later at 0240.  Continued
>listening hard, and finally heard his call 8 mins later - GI0KOW.
>With the reports he was getting 339/449/559, and the requests for
>calls, sure wish he would send his call at the end of an exchange,
>rather than an X.... Yah, the call is long, but saves time in the
>long run.... and reduces frustration
>
>73 robin  wa6cdr/n6ll/xz1n

<---- end included text ---->

<---- start comment from GI0KOW ---->

All very interesting, now let's cut the drivel and get down to
some bare-bone facts.  On the day in question I made my first
QSO at 0238Z with K0HA after CQing from 0235Z.  Now you don't
need to be a brain surgeon to work out that N6LL could not have
been listening to my CW at 0215Z.  I don't mind receiving
criticism, if criticism is due, but considering I wasn't even
on the band at the time, unwarranted comments like that really
piss me off.  Instead of ridiculing other peoples' operating
procedures, maybe Robin should take a look at his own.  He
claims to have completed a QSO with me, (which he did at 0241Z
- third QSO that morning) but didn't get my call until 8 minutes
later, now that IS good operating  !! ;-)

Maybe I have totally misunderstood the DXing concept, but I was
always taught to be aware of the callsign of the station you
were calling, before actually attempting to make a contact.

Robin, next time you are going to criticise someone, make sure
your personal opinions are backed up with facts.  Thanks for the
advice, maybe your heart is in the right place - now my advice
to you is to stop moaning and just enjoy the exceptional
topband conditions whilst they are there.

73's Robert, GI0KOW

<---- end comment from GI0KOW ---->

Andrew Williamson GI0NWG / AC6WI