TopBand: 160 condx 1/20

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160 condx 1/20
From: PEMS_ST_DK@noeca.ohio.gov (PEMS_ST_DK@noeca.ohio.gov)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 11:50:09 -0500 (EST)
I finally caught one of the best nights this season.  I missed the 'great'
conditions of about a week ago.  I started at 0353 with 8p9dx and went on to
work 30 stations from UY0ZA, US4ID,4X4NJ (who seemed to be hearing some
W6/W7),IT9ZGY, 9A2TW,SV8ZS, 2 HB9s,OZ,PA0,CT1. Last contact was at 0812 (even
though I have today off-I was tired !)  Everone one I called heard me except
UA0ZZ.  One OZ station told me I was the loudest US station he heard all night-
I hope he still thinks so next weekend! Many EU were calling CQ with no takers
and contrary to what Ive seen about 1820-1830 being the EU dx window I worked
many of them there.

As far asa SSB goes I rarely hr any DX signal worth plugging the mike in for
and I agree- if there is ENOUGH cw activity I don't see why SSB cant slide up
(ahem -they also can use the nosebleed region of the band).  I have made my ant
tuanable from in the shack so I CAN go up to 1950-and I will if activity
warrants it. Of course someone will complain about that too! 160 appears to be
under utilized from my QTH (OHIO) and I use all the tricks to pull stations
out(EWES, ANC-4 for phasing and noise, filters and more filters) and I LISTEN
to lots of static.   Last night is what I and many other wait for-and it keeps
me coming back!

And last a plea to observe the window and a bit more next weekdend (and all the
time) so we all can enjoy the fun!!!!!

73 Dan
W8CAR
Happy 160 Camper!!!!!!!