TopBand: Topbandaholics Anonymous? :-)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Topbandaholics Anonymous? :-)
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:34:09 -0500 (EST)
K3RR wrote:

>Hi Bill!   Congrats on ur VK0IR Topband QSO!  I spent the weekend in -30
>deg. windchill temps putting up an 880 ft. Beverage on a 135 deg.
>heading so I could hear them better.

Joe, this is a clear symptom of Topband Disease described previously
in a story by N6TR.  You better get to a doctor quick!  :-)

>But, based on ur comments in re NE
>propagation, maybe it was a waste of time!  I was hearing them weakly
>on Jan 19 but never thought to switch to the phased NE Bevs.  Will be
>back in there again tonight, listening NE and SE!

I think you will probably find SE will work best from your QTH!  Those
of us on the margins are observing the skewed paths but most from W1/2/3
are working him direct from what I've heard.

>Getting on Topband has certainly put a lot of fun back into hamming for
>me!!  Now I see why you and the others Topbanders like it so much.  Am
>gonna start work on a singleband 160M amplifier this weekend, driven by
>the T4XC, which is left on 160M exclusively.

Ditto my comment above on Topband Disease!  You definitely have a very
severe case of it.

>I heard you on SSB a while back, testing a vertical, which I think may
>have been your tower, shunt fed.  How did that work out?  Can you
>switch between it and the loop?  The results could be very interesting.

I shunt fed my 178 foot tower just to work Heard, and then the path I
worked them on is via Europe!  I could have just used my Delta.  Yes,
this also proves I have a severe case of Topband Disease.  Shall we
start a chapter of "Topbandaholics Anonymous"?  I wonder how many others
are showing symptoms of this disease?

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV