TopBand: 160M/Wed 1/22/97 Banner Day!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160M/Wed 1/22/97 Banner Day!
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 22:46:20 -0500 (EST)
John/160M Dx'ers
This is written 2355z 1/22/97

160M- Tonight was the best day so far for the guys on the margins (eg: South
and Mid-west) on Topband.

2131z - VK0IR coming up and working JA's in window.

2215z- Begins QSX 1831.5 for USA - Sigs coming out of the Southeast.  VK0IR
sig peaking 589 here from 2225z until 2315z!

2218-2240z Incredible run of W1, W2, W3 stations - many of whom are quite new
to 160M.  I kept a list of calls if anybody wishes to inquire offline to me
directly.

2241-2300z Starts looking specifically for W4 and W8 callers.
I hear many qso's take place with guys on the margins (including but not
limited to):
W4OWJ, K8CX, K4UL, W9NGA, K9ZR

2310-2345Z - Guys in the South and Mid West catch some great prop and some of
the finest 160M operating at the DX-end I have ever seen on 160M as these
guys make the grade:

N4SU,N4JJ,W0CD,W8UVZ,K8GG,KJ9I,WB9Z,N9US,K9RJ,K8PV,K9FD,W9EVI,NR0X,N0TB,WS9V,K
4ZW,N0XA (in Kansas!!!!)

By 2350-2355z VK0IR is fading rapidly but still in there about RST 339 here
at K1ZM.  I heard no more USA callers by approximately 2355z.

Special thanks to the EU stations who were kind enough to standby during this
time of excellent propagation to the Midwest USA - (who says that 160M is NOT
the "gentleman's band" any longer - tonight could have made me a believer
again!)

Special Note:  The above information is neither official nor accurate.  I am
reporting only who I heard VK0IR come back to and I did get interrupted by a
few phone calls during this period.  I probably did miss a few of the qso's
that took place while on the phone.  All stations who think they made a qso
tonight should, by all means, check the log-servers to confirm their qso's.

Pleased be advised that, as is proper, ONLY the VK0IR op knows who he thinks
he worked and what he thinks was a valid exchange and report!  But I believe
that there were no gifts in the above list and that these stations will have
XMAS come early this year!

I think the op may have been K4UEE tonight, Bob Allphin, but I am not certain
about this.  Whoever it was did a simply fabulous job patiently repeating
calls, over and over, cfm as appropriate - and kept up a good rate over the
course of nearly 2 hours!

It doesn't get much better than this!  Congrats to those out West and South
who managed to make the grade tonight!  It was thrilling just to LISTEN to
this happen!

73 Jeff K1ZM@aol.com