TopBand: Excerpts HEARD ISLAND MESSAGE # 83

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Excerpts HEARD ISLAND MESSAGE # 83
From: smlondon@lucent.com (LondonSM)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 07:39:19 -0700
On Jan 22,  7:54pm, Bill Tippett wrote:

> >WEDNESDAY ON THE LOW BANDS
> >--------------------------
> >This must have been the best day for low bands so far.
> >Incredible signals on both 160 and 75m SSB. The opening to the
> >Mid-West (W8,9 and 0)and W4-5 land was very real around 23:30-
> >23:45z. I was listening all the time. What an experience. What
> >an experience it must have neen for the VK0IR operator, and for
> >all of you guys who worked them! The signals wer fading out with
> >me around 23:55 z, which is almost 1 hour after VK0 sunrise.
> >
> >80 SSB meters was just as good. The signal were back up to normal,
> >(peaking at S9 or better around 21:00 in Europe) with the ON4UN
> >invertd-L back in the air (hopefuly for a little longer, this time).
> >
> >I briefly heard VK0IR on 3504.5 but did not do any monitoring there.

Say what ??!???

Many of the deserving in the Denver, Colorado area (western W0) were listening
to this "so-called opening".  Not a whisper was heard of VK0IR on either 80 or
160.  And yes, we all tried listening on directive antennas to the NW, NE, E
and SE.

The polar path seemed to be nearly shut down.  The few Europeans that could be
heard on 80 were as strong on the SE beverage as the NE beverage.

Still hoping.

Steve, N2IC/0
smlondon@lucent.com