TopBand: LDE's

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: LDE's
From: wb5rue@amsat.org (Kevin Muenzler WB5RUE)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 12:37:34 -0500 (CDT)
On Tuesday, February 11, 1997 5:19 AM, Brad Rehm[SMTP:bradrehm@texas.net] wrote:
>David,
>
>I remember those articles.  They made me aware of the phenomenon.  The
>time was in the early '70s, when my wife & I were living in Chicago.  I
>made a recording of an LDE of my own signal which was delayed just under
>30 seconds.  Most of the LDEs I've heard through the years have been
>delayed on the order of a second or two.
>
>73, Brad  KV5V
<snip>

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/topband.html
>Submissions:              topband@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  topband-REQUEST@contesting.com

I'm just getting into 160 meters.  I've built a couple of receive
amps.  I've noticed on many occasions echoes from my signal.  Most
have been of a very short delay.  At first I attributed them to
long-path delays which I've heard many times on 15 and 20 meters.
A week or so ago I was testing a new amp that I had just finished.
It was the first time I had it going to a "real" antenna.  I guess
I had the key down for two or three seconds when I released it and
heard a very fluttery signal just above the noise level.  It turned
out to be me!  It was a delay of about two seconds.  It sounded much
like the libation fading that I had experienced in EME communications.
I know it couldn't have been the moon because the moon was nowhere
to be found at the time.  Could it have been greyline propagation?
It was just after sunset.  VanAllen belt propagation?  It was fun
while it lasted (about 15 minutes)

Kevin, WB5RUE
I am Voltohm of Borg!  Resistance is E/I, Power is EI,
you will be attenuated!