TopBand: XU6WV RX improvement

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: XU6WV RX improvement
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry & Yelena)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 00:02:45 -0800
Help me to help Mike Vestal, XU6MV, improve his RX capability.

Those in North America who have been trying to log XU6MV on 160 have
already learned that Mike is not hearing well. His urban location in
Phnom Penh is quite noisy, so his reach is further than what he can
hear. A few West Coast biggies have gotten through--but only a few.

I have been discussing the matter with Mike. He is highly motivated to
improve his RX situation but there are no local sources for parts to
build receiving loops, preamps, etc. Accordingly, I have also discussed
the matter with Bob Ferrero, W6RJ, and we have come up with a solution.
Today, Bob handed me a brand-new ANC-4 to send to Mike!

But the ANC-4 is NOT a gift--and Mike does not expect one. Here's the
deal: Bob would obviously like to get <some> of his cost back. Mike is
willing to kick in <some> very scarce dollars in his own behalf--but he
is in a startup business and is cash-short. I and others here on the
Left Coast are willing to kick in, as well, for both the unit and the
SHIPPING. I am betting that you--the potential beneficiaries--are
interested enough to participate. It won't take that many modest
contributions to help XU6WV to hear YOU.

I am going to ship the unit to Cambodia today (Wednesday), and trust
you, my fellow topbanders, not to leave W6RJ and myself to finance YOUR
New One. If you do, you can bet we won't do it again.

An ANC-4, retail, plus tax and shipping to Asia totals about $200.
Recovery of a major portion of that would be super. Send what you
can--$10-$20 would be way cool, but all donations cheerfully accepted,

Garry Shapiro, NI6T
20941 Nez Perce Trail
Los Gatos, CA 95030.

I will make sure Mike knows who helped. If by some chance we are
oversubscribed, I will return portions of the larger donations.

--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, "The DXer," newsletter of the NCDXC