TopBand: Re: Top Band S.S. Style Contests

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: Top Band S.S. Style Contests
From: davekennedy@juno.com (davekennedy@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:27:24 EST
This is a Top Band/Contesting (.com) Reflector. At the risk of offending
our
top band administrator, who is a also a well known avid contester, I will
summarize the personal replies I received to my message asking "Why do
we have to tolerate a %#@&$*+ S. S. style contest on 160M" in the middle
of the prime 160M DX season.

To summarize, There were 12 personal replies from people who agreed with
me. The replies varied from a single word "Amen!" to several longer
messages
castigating the CQ and ARRL sponsors or re-phrasing my gripe, some with
even
stronger language.

One lone dissenting reply suggested I was being "selfish" in wanting to
eliminate winter time contests on 160 since there are so few days for
contests
compared to the number of days with no contests.

In the interest of brevity I will stop here. This controversy is as old
as I am. It is
mainly between the younger gung-ho types and us old guys. I am sorry if I
triggered some excess bandwidth. It is evident that many non-U.S. DXers
also
agree about the wasted DX days. Probably nothing will change without a
group
effort. And group efforts have failed before. Too bad "ethnic cleansing"
is not
permitted here.

73, Dave--N4SU