TopBand: ZS8IR

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: ZS8IR
From: crb@nanoteq.co.za (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 14:57:15 +200
I just spoke to Chris on the phone.  I could hear the wind howling
in the background.

For the past week, they have been battered by a wind of 30 to 50
knots, from the south.  The wind is blowing straight onto the
buildings off the sea, and is causing continuous buffeting and
water penetration.  The base is in survival mode, and no-one can
venture outside.

The antennas appear to be intact, but the rain static level is way
over S9.  Chris has had to abandon his attempts to operate, even
though he has been listening on 160 during the night.

He will be there for another two months.  Please be patient.

As to the comments that it will soon become impossible to work him,
due to the increasing static:  Do keep in mind that the 250 contacts
he has made have all been in his summer.  Maybe it won't be
impossible to work him during your summer, after all!

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ
Help desk for ZS8IR