TopBand: Final Summary--Wintertime S.S. Style Contests on Top Band

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Final Summary--Wintertime S.S. Style Contests on Top Band
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 14:56:49 -0500 (EST)
From: davekennedy@juno.com
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 14:23:28 EST

When I first asked "Why do we have to tolerate #@*%&+ S. S. style
contests on one band only right smack in the middle of the prime
160 meter DX season" I did not expect to conduct a survey. I just
thought it was high time for one of the silent majority to make some
noise of our own.

Here is the FINAL (!) summary of responses:
  Agree                Disagree                 Not sure
    18                     3                       2
I expected a higher number of flames. I did not make these numbers
up. Thanks to the following real people who spent the time and effort
to send me their upinions, gripes and suggestions:
W7LR, N7CKD, W4FX, K2EK, N5IA, N4VJ, W4YV, SM5AQD, K4IQ, N0JK,
W1YY, K5TH, K6EID, OZ8RO, N7UA, K0CS, WB5RUE, PA3GCU, KM1H,
W4WH, W4JVN, W4NL, SM0AJU.

Some of the messages were brief, like one word "Amen!" Others
were quite lengthy, Of the two I called "Not sure', one suggested these
contests be moved out of the prime DX months. The other suggested
limiting the contests to one night. This reminded me of my younger
years when the first night was fun and the second night was pure
drudgery. Only one fairly Big Gun Contester bothered to reply. He enjoys
working a few rare ones and 50 states along with the other 800-900
contacts.

I don't know where K8RF came from. I understand he has "stepped
forward" and been appointed by Bill to "collect and organize"
my collection of responses. It would be interesting to hear his views
and what he expects to accomplish. I would like to see some change
but, like Bill, I don't expect it.

I need to apologize to some people--the two who felt my tongue-in-
cheek "ethnic cleansing" remark was not in good taste, to those
who have to get this Reflector by E-mail and who are unable to just
read or not read this stuff, as they please, on the Internet and finally,
to W4ZV, who undertook the thankless job of running this Reflector
while trying to keep the rest of us in some semblance of order.

Until the next contest, 73

Dave--N4SU