TopBand: DXCC on 160 meters in 1 season?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: DXCC on 160 meters in 1 season?
From: jhenders@tdrss.wsc.nasa.gov (Jim Henderson)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 05:55:10 +0000
RE:

>Alan Van Buren wrote:
>>
>> Congrats are in order for anyone who works DXCC in one season on top band
>> with only 100 watts.  I wonder if it has ever been done from the west coast?
>> That would really be a challenge but I think it's possible.  Any takers?
>> 73, AL K7CA
>
>Sure Allan,
>
>You come into town and stay at my house. I'll go out to yours.
>
>Bob, KG7D

        I have heard Bernie's signals often as he worked on this goal, and I
admire his dogged perseverance. I also admire his choice of neighbors.

        My QTH in 40 miles north of Mexico, about as far south and west as
you can go. I have no geographical advantage, no Beverages, no Alpha (ok, I
upped my 100w to 500 in November). I use a 1/4 wave sloper of my own design,
on a 75' tower with no insulators in the guys and no special 160m enhancements.

        Yet this past 2 seasons I have discovered the same, great fun Bernie
has on topband. I have heard several of my friends around the country, who
now hang out there as well. In short, the bug has bitten and both the fun
and the challenge have returned.

        No, I dont have the cool advantages Bernie has, and I likely wont do
DXCC in a single season. But the fun is the same, the rewards as sweet. I
have had fun in past years putting several countries on 160 (ZM7, ZK2, A35,
5W, 7Q, 5X), but this is the real thing! About the best bun I've had on ham
radio (from the USA, anyway!).

        I think the "west coast challenge" is a great idea, and think
someone ought to come up with a trophy, or something; maybe to the ops on
each coast who work most DXCC @ 100w in one season.

        Anyway, congrats to Bernie on this.

73 de Jim, KF7E
ex: 5X1XX, 7Q7JH, ZM7AH, ad nauseum