TopBand: Boring A index hits 46

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Boring A index hits 46
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 08:08:19 -0700
Larry Menzel (N0XB, MN) wrote:

> ...the band was remarkably quiet last night, tune as I may, I could not
>hear a thing from EU or anywhere else for that matter.
>
>at 1055 PM 4/11/97 -0700, Larry Tyree (N6TR/7, OR) wrote:
> >
> >What could be worse than an A index of 46 in Boring Oregon?
> >...I was hearing a little of DF2PY on 1829.6 around 03:45 UTC.
> >Around 04:00, he was a little stronger, and by 04:15, I was copying him
> >almost solid! ...
> >This is by far the latest I have ever worked Europe on the band
> >from Oregon.  His signal dropped very quickly after our QSO - he
> >was totally gone after 10 minutes (0430).
> >Shortly after that QSO, I heard EM1HO calling CQ...

  Other than hearing little on the UTC morning of 11 April, 160
conditions
have been very consistent this week from Nebraska.  Last night (12 April
UTC morning) DF2PY was again heard with an excellent signal around
0435z.
EM1HO also had a good signal around 0440.  I heard several callers
apparently not know when he was transmitting.  The static level was high
here and my vertical driven element feed point was under snow, so I
didn't
try transmitting...
  Unlike prior 160 conditions, the openings this week have been
shorter--
only about 10 - 15 minutes.  Stronger stations (like DF2PY) are heard
longer, but down at least 20 dB from their peak level.  This week the
German stations have peaked here around 0440z, while the English was
around 0515.  Stations east of me always have reported signal peaks
earlier than myself when EU signals are still in the 20+dB down mode...
  Time to see how much snow there is to move...
73,  Bill     K0HA