TopBand: Grand Isle, LA

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Grand Isle, LA
From: michon@eatel.net (Mike Michon)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 06:57:44 -0500
From: Mike Michon  AB5XP  michon@eatel.net

Hello to All,

Just returned from 3 days and 2 nights on Grand Isle, LA.  Started Friday
norning in a driving rain with lots of lightning.  When we arrived in
Golden Meadow, we were preceeded by a tornado.  We missed the tornado by 30
minutes.  Could see the twisted trees etc. from the road though.

Put up the vertical and baloons Friday in a drizzling rain and electrical
storm.  Disconnected radios several times due to approaching electrical
activity.  Made one contact Friday night to Newton, MS.  Crashes 10-20 over
and all kinds of strange moanings and digital stuff on 160 and 80 that I
don't hear from my home qth in Prairieville, LA.  Some nice contacts on 40
meters, nothing on 80.

One contact Saturday night to Waco, Texas on 160 meters.  Oh well, you
don't know till you try.  The IOTA guys and the US Island guy had a ball.
The US Island Ham  AA5AT, Don, put out 3 new US ISlands, and many IOTA
contacts on 20 meters and a few on 40 and 80 meters.

Vertical was bent in half Saturday morning by a big gust of wind, so an
inverted L for the rest of the weekend.  Anyway, the first activity for our
new clib, the Ascension DX Group.  The 20 oz ribeyes barbecued by KC5ZZ
Saturday night took some of the sting out of a very unsuccesful 160meter
portion of the trip.

Thanks to all for the input on whether to bring the 160 stuff down.

Mike Michon