TopBand: VERTICAL ANTENNA SELECTION

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: VERTICAL ANTENNA SELECTION
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 12:21:58 -0500 (EST)
KE1Y wrote:

>I believe that a similar concept should work on Topband as well.

        Rolf's comments were VERY interesting especially since I
know how well his normal antenna works on 80!  However, I would
caution ALL about extrapolating the results to 160.  As I remember,
the Butternut HF-2V is about 30+ feet high making it an excellent
performer on 40 and 80...but to extrapolate Rolf's 80 meter performance
to 160, the antenna would need to be about 60+ feet high, with the base
and elevated radials at 20 feet! That would indeed be a great performer
on 160 (in fact similar to what DL3DXX & crew used during their recent
S21/P29 expeditions).  If you do decide to go with the HF-2V, be sure
to use lots of toploading wires on it for 160, as little base-loading
as possible and install the very best ground system you can.  I am by no
means saying that it will not work, but just don't expect to be very
competitive with guys using large verticals (i.e. within 10 dB).

        Another commercial toploaded vertical is the CTSVR (?) which
is manufactured by a company in Texas.  N7CKD uses one of these and
may have some comments.  I think CTSVR stands for "capacity tuned
short vertical radiator" and it is about 30+ feet high with a tophat,
but it may be a little more expensive than the Butternut HF-2V.  Dennis
is at n7ckdennis@juno.com if you want to contact him directly.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  When K9RJ develops some economical, room-temperature, super-
conducting alloys, then I will believe in short verticals for 160!