TopBand: Re: McCoys response

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: McCoys response
From: n5nug@ix.netcom.com (Ed Goodman)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 22:33:42 -0500
Where is the infamous Mr. Rauch?

I emailed a response to him and Mr. Lew Mc Coy, which I thought was a
private session regarding his comments lately about tne CTSVR. I ask him
directly for certain information about his personal antenna
installations.  He decided to not respond to me in kind, as a gentleman
and scholar would.

I still want to know, and ask a second time, Mr. Rauch, what are the
field strength measurements of your 1/4 w/l 160 meter antenna, and your
overly stated mobile whip antenna as measured in millivolts per meter at
1 kilometer at 1 KW. I believe this is only fair under the
circumstances, I have personally spent the money, time and effort to do
the same, why should you not do so?

Joe, to answer your question, the frequency you ask in your question is
as always, 1.850 Mhz. Again, Joe thank you for responding on Tom's
behalf. Why didn't he answer me direct?

What if I told you that a 39' antenna would produce a 292 millivolt per
meter field at 1 Kw at 1 kilometer? Would you believe that? The FCC did,
and has type certified the CTSVR for commercial AM broadcast use.

The AM station is located in southern California close to Los Angeles.
The original tower installed at the station was a 1/4 w/l structure for
1,470 Khz. The antenna came down in a severe storm last year. In order
for the station to retain its license, the owners decided to installed
(temporarly) a monoband CTSVR to bring the station back on the air.

Another installation is for a station in Alabama and is now under test.
The FCC has reinstated the operating license and issued a STA for the
station, The FCC required the transmitter power level be reduced from 1
KW to 600 watts due to the increased field produced by the monoband
CTSVR. The original antenna was a 72 degree tall structure tuned for
1,450 Khz. The radial system was the 120 radials you mentioned in your
response for Rauch. I guess we saved the station owners roughly 40% on
their electric bill.

Mr. Rauch has maintained the Los Alamos labs did not test the antenna as
we have announced. We sent him what we thought was proof. He did not
accept that. That is Mr. Rauch's prerogative not to accept our submittal
to him. In my opinion, Mr. Rauch has his head buried in the sand. Field
strenght measurements are the imperical data. Theory just gets us close
to the practical world.

Only after those of us who don't know enough, were told that it wouldn't
work, and we made it work, do those in the absolute, decide to take
another look!

And, Mr. Rauch where are you? And Joe, thank you for stepping into Mr.
Rauch's shoes for all of us.

73's Ed Goodman - N5NUG

--
          Uni-Hat CTSVR