TopBand: Re: Kenwood TS-870s & 599zx/dsp

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: Kenwood TS-870s & 599zx/dsp
From: lmenzel@millcomm.com (Larry Menzel)
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 1997 17:58:38 -0600
Randy,

I'm not sure what mode you prefer, but if you're a CW operator, the ZX is
wonderful.  As a SSB addition, I can say that it's helpful, but not all
that much different than before.  The SSB signal is just too complicated
for it to be helpful in every situation.  My comments relate to it's use
for the CW operator, primarily.

It is difficult to compare the two because the ZX is a whole new animal.
It's so far superior to anything Timewave has made thus far that I can only
tell you to go and get one.  I can't imagine operating 80 or 160 without it
any more.  It is a superb statiion accessory.

The notch is better, the tuning so fast that you never have to touch it.
Unlike previous models you had to "drive", the ZX is just on...working as
you tune.  Zapping out carriers and really quieting the band.  You simply
vary the band pass to really bring in the station you're listening to.

I know you'll find it to be a great addition to any amateur station.

Larry, N0XB