TopBand: Tower matching

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Tower matching
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Larry Tyree)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 14:04:34 -0700 (PDT)
First off - thanks to everyone who responded to my question about
adding a 40 meter beam to my "magic" loaded tower.  I think regardless
of what happens - someone will be right!  I think the one thing
everyone agreed on is to try it.  I will try and make some measurements
before and after to see if there is any change.

The fact that the KLM elements are insulated might help.

As far as a procedure - I think empirical examples are probably the
best way.  I would like to offer a location for examples to be stored.

So, write up something on what works for you, and I will create a
web page with all the data.  You should include things like the
tower height - height of various antennas - gamma dimensions (height,
conductor size, distance from tower) - capacitor values, radial
system description and any notes you can give about the tuning
process and performance.

If enough people contribute to this library - then something close
to your situation can be used as a starting point.

Bandwidth would also be an interesting thing to note.  At my previous
QTH - I had a flat antenna from 1.6 to 1.9 megaHertz - which would
indicate a lot of loss - however the antenna really played!!  W2GD
saw a similar result with a similar antenna.

The 40 goes up tomorrow - we shall see what happens!

73 Tree N6TR / K7RAT
tree@contesting.com