TopBand: Re: Rohn Tower on 160m

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: Rohn Tower on 160m
From: jharper@bs2000.com (Jack Harper)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 11:59:34 -0600
At 04:15 8/13/97 EDT, you wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Aug 1997 12:38:35 -0500 philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
>writes:
>>I am planning the installation of a Rohn 25 tower as a 1/4 wave 160m
>>vertical. There will be an adjustable 10' aluminum mast on top to
>resonate the
>>tower on 1830 khz.
>>
>>How tall must the Rohn 25 be to be resonant?
>>
>===========
>Hi, Phil,
>
>I couldn't resist using a NEC-based program (ELNEC) on this one.  Rohn 25
>is 12.5" on a side.  To simplify things, I substituted a 12.5" diameter
>conductor for the tower and assumed the 10' mast diameter is 2".

<snip>

>You didn't specify whether you planned to insulate the tower from ground,
>which you would do if you planned to simply direct-feed it at the base
>with 50-ohm coax (a slight mismatch to the 36-ohm feedpoint resistance of
>the antenna at resonance).

<snip>

>The gamma capacity values are the "tuned" values at 1830 kHz.  "Volts" is
>the voltage across the gamma capacitor when 1 kw is applied to the
>antenna.
>
>Tower    Attach height    Gamma cap    Volts
>---------   --------------------   -------------------    -------
>  90'             85'                 79 pF          4905

<snip>

>73, GL, de Earl, K6SE

<snip>

Earl -- I found your analysis quite interesting.

Am curious about several points:

  * What is the ELNEC program? Availability?

  * Also -- I have a HyGain HyTower vertical that is, of course, supported
on insulators -- assuming that a kw is run into the thing, how would I
calculate the maximum voltages at the base? I am concerned about the danger
of such an antenna in a neighborhood with kids etc running about and have
absolutely no idea of what sort of voltages are present. I have a little
white picket fence up around the base of the tower but still worry about
zapping someone that climbs over the fence... I have not yet loaded the
thing up with the kw as I have not yet completed the resurrection of a
Hammarlund HXL-ONE linear amplifier but that is emminent...

  * Also -- What in the world do you use to support a 100'+ tower so as to
be insulated from the ground. I assume that there is a source somewhere for
commercial broadcast stations (surplus?) or perhaps something is available
from Rohm?? The HyGain HyTower is, of course, considerably lighter than
100' of the Rohm -- HyGain supplies three large heavy molded plastic
insulators for the base that are about 4" tall or so.

Regards to all...

Jack, KC0LR (Friend to all things Hammarlund)

Jack Harper                                   Bank Systems 2000, Inc.
303-277-1892                                  Golden, Colorado USA

                "21st Century Financial Applications"
        Optical Cards for Bank, EBT, and Medical Applications
Visit our Web Page: http://www.bs2000.com/talos (Last Update: 970520)