TopBand: Report from Cow Hill, Orcas Island, Wa NA 065

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Report from Cow Hill, Orcas Island, Wa NA 065
From: stans@netos.com (Stan Seiffert)
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 20:33:11 -0700
I have been active on topband weekends, but, by the time I get back to my
computer in Seattle, every thing of note has already been posted on the
reflector ( I do post spots on packet).  Lots of VK's and some JA's here at
sunrise.  I have heard UN5J  four times, but, still too weak to work with my
setup.  Hope springs eternal.  I did work five continents in August.
Hopefully, September will bring Europe.
The antenna on Orcas is a slanting top loaded
folded monopole about 60 feet above four elevated radials.  The top loading is
a 140 foot horizontal wire strung between two trees forming a T.  It is fed
directly with coax.  The site is rocky, but, electrically quiet with a good
shot at the horizon and saltwater in most directions.  I also have a EWE for
receiving on a steep slope facing NE.  Winter will tell the tale.  C U on
topband.
                                   73
                                          Stan  W7AWA