TopBand: Beverage supports

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage supports
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 11:44:28 EDT
On Mon, 6 Oct 1997 15:49:44 -0500 Raymond Dave-CSUS04
<csus04@lmpsil02.comm.mot.com> writes:
>Several things I have read recently would seem to imply that insulated
>supports might be needed (or at least would work better) than
>non-insulated supports for beverages.
>
>In the past, several of us around here have welded some steel
>fenceposts
>together and used them with plastic electric fence insulators.  Is
>there
>nything wrong with this approach?
>
>73,
>
>Dave
>W0FLS

>From all that I have read on Beverages it is pretty hard to disturb the
foreward pattern very much.
What does happen tho, with this or any directional antenna, is the F/B
will suffer if there are enough trees or metal to influence it. Another
thing is that those fence insulators are quite small and will capacitvely
couple to the steel posts. I would think that could not only unbalance
the pattern but also add considerable noise pickup.

By adding a wooden crossarm and getting the wire 2+ feet away from the
posts the coupling would be minimized or at least considerably reduced.

GL   Carl   KM1H
 -
 ---