TopBand: Uni-Hat CTSVR Vertical

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Uni-Hat CTSVR Vertical
From: RBicking@micro.honeywell.com (Bicking, Bob)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 08:02:08 -0500
JAA15306
Sender: owner-topband@contesting.com

I got back into ham radio last yr. after a 40 yr layoff and chose a CTSVR
because of limited open space in my yard and because I'm primarily
interested in the low bands. I followed the instructions that came with the
antenna except for putting in additional radials. I used 12 initially and
later went to 18. I used an Autek RF-1to measure impedance and bandwidth and
saw little improvement from 12 to 18 radials. The antenna works great (see
Oct. '97 DX Magazine) and I have used it from 15m thru 160m so far. Recently
worked ZK1XXK, ZS and K7K on 160m. I also recently replaced the 160m
coupling stub with a motor driven vacuum variable so that I don't have to
worry about bandwidth limitations on 160 (my antenna tuner didn't like more
that 300w and arced to let me know). I have no comparison data to other
antennas to offer but I have had good success in pileups and good reports
from all over. Ed Goodman, the manufacturer, is very willing to offer advice
based on experience regarding!
 radials and other questions.

 -
 ---