TopBand: Aurora condx. on topband?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Aurora condx. on topband?
From: oz8abe@post6.tele.dk (Bo Soegaard)
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 01:44:23 +0100
Hi there.
Tonight FH/DJ2BW was on topband with a good S7 signal.  I don't have an
impressive set-up for 160m (inv V apex less than 15 m/45 ft, ends just
above the ground).  I just had to call one time, and he was in log,
usually I have to call several hours. This was at 20.30z.
Now what's interesting is that about 30 min. later, aurora was detected
on the higher bands and when aurora came to OZ (55 N lat.) the signal
from FH dropped to the noise level.  ON4UN low-band Bible tells a bit
about path across north pole and crooked path during aurora, but nothing
about if the aurora belt could be used as a kind of giant reflector,
which gives super north/south condx.  This of course when the aurora
belt is approaching, not when it's here.
We have witness this phenomenon a couple of times in OZ, best back in
1994, when DK7PE was in TN.  At that occasion, he was worked by an OZ
using 100 W to an indoor trapped 80 M dipole ! and it seems that no one
else in EU could hear him.  Once again, when the aurora came a bit later
that night, the OZ party was over.

Is this a coincidence or can the aurora belt be used as sort of a
reflector on topband ?

Boulder K index today
18z K=3, 21z K=4, 0z K=5

73's de Bo