TopBand: KH5 / KH5K

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: KH5 / KH5K
From: kimo@lava.net (Kimo C. Chun)
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:40:20 -1000 (HST)
On 10/13, Bill W4ZV wrote:

>The following was in the latest issue of The Daily DX.  Anyone know
>what a "160 meter TJ vertical" is?
>
>73,  Bill  W4ZV
>
>Tony, WA4JQS, tells The Daily DX that W7KW had a 160 meter TJ
>vertical sent to Hawaii for Chuck's, N4BQW, operation on Palmyra.
>Chuck will be active from 17 to 25 October as N4BQW/KH5 on all bands.
>While on the island he will have to work about 2 hours a day for the
>Fish and Wildlife Service.  When not working he will put this rare
>one on as long as he can stay awake.  Chuck knows the rarity of this
>one in Europe and will be putting an emphasis on them.  After Palmyra
>he has been assured a 48 hour stint on Kingman Reef by the boat
>captain.

Dear TopBanders:

I transferred the TJ antenna to Chuck, today, and we put it on the
cargo list "priority" for the already overfull flight to Christmas
Island. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to look at the antenna but I
hope to set it up here in KH6/KH7 upon its return in a few weeks
and try it out.

As has probably been posted, he is only running barefoot as the
generator I loaned him only does 650W. So keep his frequencies
clear! :-) (I am NOT talking to the "Police").

I also, gave Chuck a copy of the time schedules that Randy, KØEU,
posted that we used out on K7K as a guideline for 160. I did tell
him about the emphasis on pre/during/post sunrise/sunsets at both
ends for the differing parts of the world. Please understand that
he has not been on 160 before. I also gave him (provided he gets
his e-mail before he leaves tomorrow) a copy of the freqs we used
at K7K, again, as a guideline. He was also provided some propagation
information through the courtesy (and overnight shipment) of
Frank Smith, AHØW.

I guess doing DXpeditions NEVER ends!

He will try to get me more info such as tentative schedules, if
possible, for me to post on internet. Or, I am sure someone else
may do the same.

Go get him!

P.S. Please look for KH7R in the CQWW SSB Contest in a couple of
weeks. We will be running Multi-Multi. Hawaii, NOT Kure ! :-)

Aloha,

Kimo Chun   KH7U

kimo@lava.net

 -