TopBand: Topband RFI

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Topband RFI
From: grhosler@imation.com (Gary R. Hosler)
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 09:13:22 -0500
I am posting this query at the risk of incurring the wrath of the
multitudes, however I feel that many here have had similar problems at one
time or another.  In general I don't have many problems with RFI with the
exception of one device in particular.  We have an AT&T cordless telephone
that I can "work" on 160, 75, and 10M.  This is only when running some
power (600-800 watts output), but has really become a problem lately.  I
have tried K-COM filters, and split ferrite material on both the AC line
cord and the phone line.  The ferrite material on the phone line tends to
reduce the distance for reliable use of the phone, but has improved the RFI
immunity.  I recognize that this is an RF transmitter/receiver combination
and therefore is wide open to this sort of problem.  I believe that this
model works near 49 MHz.  Has anyone with similar experience found any
success by going to one of the 900 MHz or 900 MHz spread spectrum versions?
My XYL is generally very easy to get along with but elimination of the
cordless telephone is NOT an option.  I don't mind spending the money for
one of the 900 MHz units (especially since the price has come down
dramatically) IF it will offer some relief from the RFI issue.  As this is
not a DX, propagation, or antenna related issue I beg the forgiveness or
the masses and request that any responses be sent to me directly rather
than via the reflector.  I will summarize and post to the reflector if
there is meaningful feedback.  Thanks in advance for your help.

de Gary  W0AW