No subject

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: No subject
From: sander@aud.alcatel.com (dick sander)
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 97 12:42:00 CDT
I recenctly picked up a JPS ANC-4 Noise Canceller at a flea market.

When I key the rig, the COR kicks in OK.

I installed a wire outside from my tower out of the center of RG213 for
a sense antenna. The wire is about 8 ft long and runs from the 12 ft
level towards ground about 45 degrees and is tied off (insulated) to a
chain link fence.

When I point my beam north I pick up noise (10m). On my FT-1000MP the
noise blanker cuts it out (2-3 S-units). Using the ANC-4 I find a "dip"
in the noise of about 1 S-unit. If I turn the gain up high and move from the
"dip", I hear spurious noises. The signals are also about an S-unit down.
(The manual says about 6 dB insertion loss.)

On 160m, all I see is the insertion loss with no noise reduction at all!

Does the above description sound as if it's working, or did I get
a dud?  If it's working, I'm certainly not impressed.

Anyone with some experience to guide me?

73, Dick Sander -K5QY