TopBand: VE6 Conditions!!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: VE6 Conditions!!
From: Gerry.Hohn.ghohn@nt.com (Gerry Hohn)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 11:00:57 -0400
It's rare that we get good openings to Europe from the Calgary area.
Often can hear other Northwest stations working EU but not a squeak
here.

Saturday night was the exception. Solid signals from EU for a couple
of hours. After waiting impatiently for the "big Guns" to say their
daily hellos, I was even able to work DJ. OK and LA for 3 new ones on
topband. Now 3 new ones to many may not seem like much, but to me  a
radiationally challenged station (HF2V and 800 watts), it was a GREAT
night bringing my total to a huge 69.

Modified my HF2V to add 8 ft and move much of the loading near the top
on Sunday in anticipation of more openings. According to calculations
, it should give me about a 4-5 dB efficiency improvement (50 watts to
over 100 of the 800 doing other than heating the ground). The 3:1 SWR
has gone from about 16khz to 40 kHz.

It is a great band!

Gerry VE6LB