TopBand: Re: [TowerTalk] Phased Staggered Beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: [TowerTalk] Phased Staggered Beverages
From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 20:35:26 -0400 (EDT)
Bill,
Yes, WW2Y presented an outstanding description of his three element
staggered Beverage array at the Dayton Antenna Forum.  He stated that this
system provides extraordinary front-to-back ratio compared to a single
Beverage, but it took some extensive "tuning" to achieve this performance.
I have not yet constructed a copy of his array, but someday I probably
will!

Peter's system consists of three close spaced Beverages (perhaps 8-10 feet
sideways spacing between each) with each of the three Beverages staggered
by 1/4 wavelength (135 ft).  His unspecified feed network used a power
divider and phase shift network that received 1/2 of the received power at
0 degrees phase from the middle Beverage, 1/4 of the power with 90 degree
agging phase from the front Beverage and 1/4 of the power with 90 degree
leading phase from the rear Beverage.  In concept this network might be
simply constructed with coaxial cables delay lines and RF transformers.