TopBand: KH8 from 1680 feet

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: KH8 from 1680 feet
From: N5JA@contesting.com (Jon Barclay N5JA)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 00:52:32 +0100
In case anyone missed us last year, Don KH8/N5OLS and I will be
QRV at U.S. sunrise on 160M.  Today we hung a dipole from a tower
60' above the top of Mt. Olotele (yep, the TOP, and you'd have to
hang on to your hat if you had one up there -- about 40 MPH wind).

Sorry to post this so late, but we weren't sure it would happen.
We'll be running about 1KW to a dipole at 1680' above sea level.
Thanks to Larry Gandy, KH8LG (ex-KS6DV) for loaning us a rig as
Don's TS950 tried to run the finals at 70 volts for a brief time
before it went t.u.  We may also be QRV Friday morning.

For anyone waiting for QSLs for me or Don, just hang on a bit--
I'm a couple months behind, will try to get everything caught
up quickly when we get back to Texas.

This won't answer the vertical vs. horizontal question, but
should tell if a HIGH dipole will play!

73,
Jon
KH8/N5JA