TopBand: Hoosier Report 10/23

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Hoosier Report 10/23
From: CRICHTON_MELVIN_J@LILLY.COM (Melvin J Crichton)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 08:45:44 -0500
I heard Tree working em right and left long before the European sunrise. For
the first time ina  long time W0AH's signal was down near the noise level.
Spots on the cluster seemed to favor western US.

Just before midnight here in Indiana (0500Z) DF2PY popped up with a very nice
signal, but even with 500 watts to my LOW dipole Wolf could not hear me...
many callers, so I'll chalk that strikeout to competition

A few KHz up, SM5EDX was calling CQ and came back to me on the first call. But
my signal was likely down, and he probably had been  running mostly western US
hams as he ID'd me as KJ7C at first...  but he was well above the noise most
of the time, and the QSB seemed to be on maybe a 30 second cycle. First EU DX
of the new topband season here

Jim W9VNE seemed to be doing well, just east of here in Cincinnati area, but
heard no other US hams east .... my guess is that they were already in bed...
but could it have been another "left coast feeding frenzy" last evening?

Mel KJ9C Indiana