TopBand: KC1XX Dx Reception Reports (Pse)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: KC1XX Dx Reception Reports (Pse)
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 07:56:42 -0500 (EST)
Hello All

as at KC1XX on 160M this weekend helping Matt test out his new 160M stuff.
 Xmit ant was a single elevated 160 foot Rohn 25 tower, with elevated base
(20 feet) and 16 elevated 1/4 wave radials. The guys are non-conducting
phyllystran so this is a first class setup - and we hoped it would work
pretty well.

We would be ESPECIALLY interested in the following:

1) How did DX stations overseas HEAR us vs N2RM, W3LPL, K1VW, K3LR etc?
2) Were we HEARING okay, or better than other W's or - really POORLY vs other
W's?  For example:  Did you call us like GU3WHN and we NOT hear you?  Did you
call us like ZM7A did and XT2DP did and we NEVER hear you at all?

Contest report:

Friday night - a real bust - worked about 6 Eu's only - best sigs prob were
GM7J and GW7K I think the calls were - and of course G4DBN.  DJ7AA was
earliest Eu worked at ESP-levels around 0400Z I think.

Sat night - band opened around 0500z for a good run of Eu's as far East as
LZ, and UA2AA, UA2AJ.  I think we netted close to 80 EU's from 0430Z - 0700z
when the last loud ones were heard.  G3FPQ had a great sig near his sunrise
and TM1C pretty loud also.

Biggest Disappointment - NO Pacific except for two KH6's.  DID anyone else in
VK/ZL even hear us except for ZM7A who I am told called but we could not
copy?

Personally I felt we were NOT hearing all that well as the operator at KC1XX
- what was the perception of the Dx who heard and called us?

We would be most interested in YOUR input - so we might improve things!

Tks  73 jeff K1ZM

Most FUN in the contest:

1) Passing 0800-0930Z chatting with Pat at K8 "Mighty Kowabonga!"

And also with Peter (WW2Y) at N2NU.

2) Rolling across Yuri VX3BMV/1 (op at VE1ZZ) and asking:

"Yuri - are you ducting???"  To which Yuri would always reply "NO, I am
CON-DUCTING!!!!"

Yes, it was THAT kind of weekend!

Thanks to all who called us under DREADFUL condx.

Jeff K1ZM@aol.com